The following announcement was written by Findmypast:
Discover remarkable war stories and more with Findmypast’s latest Friday releases. This week’s update includes new and exclusive WW2 service records, updates to Findmypast’s British medal collection, colour photos of thousands of Norfolfk headstones and memorials along with a whole host of new newspapers.
British Army Service Records
Search exclusive Scots Guards' service records from the Second World War and beyond. Some documents even include photos.
Ronald Tillotson from Dewsbury enlisted in 1938. View his full record.
The records range from a couple of pages to complete service histories documented over many different types of army forms. This is the first time this important collection has been digitised and published online and it's only available at Findmypast.
Britain, Campaign, Gallantry & Long Service Medals & Awards
Discover decorated military ancestors in thousands of new medal records. The latest additions cover:
- Indian General Service Medals 1854-1895, 1908-1935 and 1936-1939
- China War Medal 1900
- Second China War Medal 1857-60
- General Service Medal 1918-1962
- India Medal 1895-1902
You can focus your search on any of the above awards by selecting it from the 'Medal type' filter on the search page. The records can reveal important details for tracing someone's military past including service number, rank and regiment.
Norfolk, Churchyard Graves and Memorials Image Browse
See if you can spot your Norfolk relatives’ graves or memorials in thousands of unique colour photos.
Gravestones and memorials can be full of useful family tree information. View this photo in detail.
Norfolk resident Louise Cocker provided these amazing photos. Louise's mission is to document all of the graves and memorials in her home county and we'll be adding more to the collection over time. Could you take on a similar challenge in your area? Photograph your local cemetery and give the snaps to your local family history society. Genealogists the world over will be forever grateful.
Six new papers from England, Scotland and Ireland have been published on Findmypast this week along with substantial updates to 17 existing titles. Brand new this week are;
While coverage has expanded in;
- American Register from 1895
- Argus, or, Broad-sheet of the Empire from 1841-1843
- Barnsley Telephone from 1918
- Blandford and Wimbourne Telegram from 1885
- Bridport, Beaminster, and Lyme Regis Telegram from 1881 and 1886
- Glasgow Sentinel from 1821-1823
- Lancaster Standard and County Advertiser from 1907
- London Daily News from 1912-1920
- Lynn Advertiser from 1971-1977, 1980-1989
- Nelson Chronicle, Colne Observer and Clitheroe Division News from 1893
- Northern Weekly Gazette from 1924 and 1929
- Pictorial Times from 1845 and 1847
- Pierce Egan’s Life in London, and Sporting Guide from 1824-1825 and 1827
- The Age from 1825, 1828, 1831, 1833-1834 and 1837-1845
- Weekly True Sun from 1834, 1836, 1838 and 1840-1842
- Weymouth Telegram from 1887
- Y Tyst from 1884
Make amazing discoveries for less with a 20% discount on all subscriptions
There is still time to claim a 20% discount on any 1 and 12 month subscription but hurry, offer ends May 15th!